Thursday, February 26, 2009

TLT 470 - TQ#6


I started this week with learning how to create a podcast. I'm still amazed that this is my first podcast. I've helped coordinate with clients to setup entire sites on iTunes University, but never actually created one of my own. I went to youtube and watched a short tutorial from tinkernut.com. In only 4 minutes, I was off and running with Audacity. I created a voice recording, and tested the various features. I was able to cut out sound clips, make myself sound like a chipmunk, and clear the sound of the TV in the background. I was very impressed with the capabilities of a free tool like audacity, and the ease of use. I think it is a great tool for teachers and learners alike to have. For teachers, they can offer an array of information including instructions, tutorials, and problem samples. Learners gain the ability to take information with them in a portable fashion. Often times, reading from a book doesn't paint a whole picture, but if you have an audible recording to explain things, it can provide clearer insight into the topic. Learners can also utilize podcasts as a method of expression for various projects and topics. I know that I would prefer to create a podcast over writing a report on a topic any day.

Next, I met with my group virtually on a few different online collaborations services. We decided to try Vyew, Wiziq, and Yugma since none of us were familiar with any of them. We all had previous experience with Elluminate, and it became quite apparent that Elluminate is a top leader in its field. Most of the services we tried still seem to be in the infancy stages of product development.

Vyew - Out of all of the products we tested, I think Vyew had the most potential. It was fairly easy to use, and the sound/video quality was decent. One feature that I was not happy with was the mic control. It seemed like we were often stepping on one another when talking. You had to push a button to take control, and the response was often slow and unreliable.

WiZiQ - This product was more than just a collaborative tool for the classroom. This site was geared toward online classroom services including test taking, online tutorials, classroom calendar management and more. Since virtual real-time collaboration was only a piece of the service, it was as fully developed as the other tools. Only basic functions were offered, such as a whiteboard and screen sharing. Overall I think this site is much more useful when all of the services are incorporated into the classroom, rather than just the one piece.

Yugma - I would only advise those that are technically saavy to use this product, if I even recommended it at all. Although it seemed to work well, there were many limitations including an application install and the lack of VOIP. Although you can call in over the phone or use Skype, adding additional pieces only creates more opportunity for failure.

Overall, I think the use of online collaboration is useful under certain circumstances. The age of the learner must be carefully considered in this situation. For younger children, it may be more work for the teacher than its worth for the knowledge gained by the students. Conversely, for older students in high school or college, there can be many advantages. Students can be broken up into groups as we were and given assignments. I've always dreaded group projects because it often turned into a hassle to coordinate times when everyone can meet up and work together. Someone either had work, or lived far away, or had some sort of limitation restricting us to limited time spent on the project. Online collaboration opens these windows and allows for a more productive interactive experience. The concept of distance learning also becomes possible with tools like these. It gives the learner the opportunity to take part in something that may not have been possible in the past. Online classes no longer have to be based on reading books and writing about them or taking tests. Collaboration services allow these classes to include remote students in discussion, knowledge sharing, and other interactions with their peers.

3 comments:

  1. Carly has given an example of what a resourceful person can achieve in a matter of minutes. I wish more people were like her. I encourage you to keep on exploring podcats. I agree with Carly in the age of learners when using video conferencing tools. It is easier for older students to maintain focus on the conversations. I like her final thoughts on the idea that collaboration services allow people from all over the world to work together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate your tech expertise in this area. We agreed that Elluminate is really the app of choice right now, though cost may be prohibitive for some institutions. Like what you said in your last paragraph about web conferencing being better suited for older students and higher ed. Younger students may not benefit as much form these tools due to shorter attention spans. The ability to cut down on travel time is a huge benefit of these tools and I have found that my learning and attention to what is being discusuy3d is the same if not better than during traditional synchronous class sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. <a href="http://www.eduspotinc.com/replay/content.aspx>online classroom services </a>Eduspot Professional Web-Casting/Recording Solution help you capture classroom interactions, lecture capture, recording, powerpoint presentation, virtual classrooms in india with HD quality, explains the nicety of the technology.

    ReplyDelete